Monday 14 February 2022

My Top Ten Valentine's Day Songs


I was convinced I'd done a Valentine's Day Top Ten at some point in this blog's history, but it turns out that it was back in the days of the old blog. So here's another go at it.

There were too many great Valentines songs to choose from, so I restricted myself this time to ones that mention Valentine's Day (rather than just Valentines) in the title...


10. The Humms - No One Wants To Be Alone On Valentine's Day

From Athens, Georgia. That's about as much as I know about them. Good tune though.

9. The Beautiful South - Valentine's Day W**k

No. That isn't an asterisked "week".

A surprisingly touching tune despite the crude title. 

He has a coffee table, some dominoes
A joke book on the shelf
But the punchlines have a special twist
When you're telling them to yourself

8. Caroline Trettine - Valentine's Day Blues

One for you, if today sends you into a whirligig of sadness.

7. Little Steven - Saint Valentine's Day

They call him "The Consigliere"... the Boss's right hand man.

Here's why.

6. Outkast - Happy Valentine's Day

Every day's the 14th for Andre 3000.

5. ABC - Valentine's Day

Look up Valentine's Day in the Lexicon of Love, and this is what you find.

When I'm shaking a hand, I'm clenching a fist
If you gave me a pound for the moments I missed
And I got dancing lessons for all the lips I shoulda kissed
I'd be a millionaire, I'd be a Fred Astaire

4. David Bowie - Valentine's Day

The final Bowie single released in his lifetime.

3. Bruce Springsteen - Valentine's Day

A friend of mine became a father last night
When we spoke in his voice I could hear the light
Of the skies and the rivers the timberwolf in the pines
And that great jukebox out on Route 39

2. Ruth - Valentine's Day

Forgotten Britpop classic, with a big slice of ELO joy. Why wasn't this a Number One?

1. Billy Bragg - Valentine's Day Is Over

Did Billy ever write a more perfect tune? 

Thank you for the things you bought me
Thank you for the card
Thank you for the things you taught me when you hit me hard
That love between two people must be based on understanding
Until that's true you'll find your things all stacked out on the landing

Surprise, surprise!
Valentine's Day is over... it's over.


This is my Valentine's Card to you. I love you all.

XXX


2 comments:

  1. I never knew about the Bowie song, that was unexpected! I know people have always compared Suede to early Bowie, but on listening to this I could totally imagine it being a Suede original (Bowie sounding like Suede sounding like Bowie?)
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valentine’s Day is just about over now, but thanks for this Top Ten, a first on this blog as you say.

    Hope you had a good one (shame it landed on a Monday though).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...