Thursday 24 February 2022

Record Collection Recollections #1


Because ongoing, irregular and intermittent series are the ballast that keeps this blog afloat, here's another one, in which I reflect on almost forty years of record collecting.

Over the last year or so, my interest in owning physical copies of the music I love has returned. There was a time, maybe about 5 years ago, when I considered going all digital apart from the essentials, but lately I've realised I'm far more likely to devote time to a record that I actually paid money to own a physical copy of. My hard drive is full of digital albums I've never listened to (except when serendipity throws up appropriate tracks for a Top Ten), but when I look at the CDs on my shelves, there's barely a one I haven't played until I was sick of it. And the majority of them, I'm more than happy to revisit when time allows. Even though I rarely actually need to take the discs out of their cases to play them any more, and until I get glasses (remember: no eye test until I'm 50), I can't read the majority of the inlay cards without a magnifying glass anymore.

And so, here's a series in which I will write about collecting records. Or CDs, since I long since had to sacrifice my vinyl dreams. (More on that anon.) I want to celebrate the joy of collecting music, now that I've rediscovered it. I have quite a lot to say, but I'll try to break it down into manageable chunks. And play some appropriate tunes along the way. Because, to quote Chicago, record collecting... it's a hard habit to break.

Here's a tune I was listening to on my headphones yesterday while walking in the rain.

Fact: if you Google the lyrics to this song, it'll tell you they sing that your tabloids should be stronger. Not tablets, which would make a lot more sense (and is the actual lyric). Makes you wonder if online lyrics are written by an Alexa-like AI that doesn't really understand language, just responds and transcribes sounds.
  


5 comments:

  1. Ah, looking forward to this series.

    Out of interest, do you have a preferred lyrics website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rol may have a different one, but my preferred site is www.azlyrics.com

      Delete
    2. I will use whatever google throws up first. For deeper searches, I generally use lyrics.net.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed pulling together the family CDs when I started blogging and alphabetising them. Problem is, every time we upgrade a telly, computer or music device I lose one more option of how to play them (the DVD player went this week which was a good alternative). Definitely feels more special and worthy of listening to if you actually bought a physical copy in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through my own internal debate on the pros and cons of physical product vs digital files several years ago and came to much the same same conclusion as you. Digital files tend to get forgotten, or at least overlooked and I'll invariably reach for a tangible record or CD to play. As a concession to a possible future jettisoning of my CD collection however, I've been steadily ripping them over the past few years. Still got quite a way to go with that project though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...