Thursday 27 October 2022

Guest Post Thursday #14: A Top Ten "I Can't..." Songs (Part 1)

It's been a while since I ran any guest posts here, and the only reason for that is that nobody has offered any. Fair enough, most of you have your own blogs to worry about. Fortunately, George has got sick of reading my interminable ramblings day after day, or perhaps taken mercy on me after yesterday's bumper post, and offered not one, but two guest posts to give me what Huey Lewis would call a Couple Days Off. So Guest Post Thursday is back!

Here's George...


I was listening to one of the three cds in the Sick, Sorry and Sober set recently and I heard this:


Today I passed you in the street, And my heart fell at your feet, I can’t help it if I’m still in love with you


And I thought that it was genius: a simple lyric, a simple tune, that Hawaiian-sounding guitar, that reedy, plaintive and painful voice, combining to make an unforgettable song. I can understand why some 70s and 80s country music puts people off, but I will never understand how people could not like and admire this song.


Hank Williams - I can't help it if I'm still in love with you 


And if you can get hold of that 3 cd set I would urge you to do so.


A while later, whilst sitting around not doing much, just singing those lines, I thought of this, another simple intro, builds up a bit, that “ooo” the drum roll, then Levi Stubbs’ voice...


The Four Tops - I can't help myself


I’m spoiling you, two utterly brilliant songs, it’s got to be downhill now. There’s a lot of song titles that start “I can’t”, and an amazing number of them are great. And then there’s that abomination by crap prog turned crap pop group with that drummer-singer. So, to cleanse your ears after just polluting them with the thought of that song, here’s some hard-rock blues.


Led Zeppelin - I can't quit you baby


You’ll be pleased to now know that I have been having the sleep of the just of late, obviously not a care in the world, unlike The La’s...


The La's - I can't sleep


And Mr Mavers was somehow not satisfied with that album?


Onto more genius lyrics...


Is it day, is it night, Am I losing my sight, I can’t see me without you


Yes, another country song. Really, how can that start not make you at least smile (or laugh out loud)?


Conway Twitty - I can't see me with you


And after a busy morning eating, the goats are having a lie down, chewing their cud. They are obviously telling me to include this song:


The Velvet Underground - I can't stand it


Anita is on heat as I write this, has been for a couple of days, so much bleating round these parts, and it’s difficult to get her in the goat shed. Parsley goes in no problem, a bit of bread, corn, he’s there, but at times like these, not Anita. FORTY minutes it took on Tuesday. She’s bleating for Francisco’s young male goat:


The Who - I can't reach you


It was very frustrating, he bleated.


The Temptations - I Can't get next to you


My thoughts on this?


The White Stripes - I can't wait


Yes, I can’t wait for this bleating to be over. And one more tune...


The Stylistics - I can't give you anything but my love


Insert your own goat-on-heat joke.


So a Top Ten “I Can’t” songs. Yes, some obvious ones not there, some deliberately excluded on grounds of taste, but not Barry Manilow, oh no, but because the song is Can’t Smile WIthout You, and not I Can’t Smile Without You.


Thanks of course to Rol for allowing this to be posted. Feel free to leave your inane comment. 


And I’ve just been informed that I can write a part 2. I bet you can’t wait!



Because tradition dictates I close my posts with a video (I feel naked without them), I found another version of George's top song which is equally worthy of your ears. And I'm glad George didn't diss Barry. Less bothered about him dissing the drummer-singer. 

More goat sex I Can't Songs next Thursday...

Thanks, George.

5 comments:

  1. Drummer -Singers
    I can't understand what George has against The Band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he means The Carpenters. Poor, lovely Karen.

      Delete
    2. I think you two are deliberately being obtuse

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...