Tuesday 11 October 2022

Namesakes #7: Memphis


Thank you if you voted for Oasis last week. Out of the three Oases I offered, all the votes went to the original band to use that name, the one from 70s California. I was truly shocked that nobody voted for the second, 80s, Oasis, featuring Peter Skellern and Mary Hopkin. 


This week, I’m putting a call in through long distance information for bands called Memphis...


MEMPHIS #1

Our first Memphis dates back to 1982, when they put out this extremely rare funky 7”. Also known as Homegrown Funk and Homegrown Syndrome, they recorded with Ike Turner and were later signed to Arista due to an association with the delightfully named Perry Kibble from A Taste Of Honey. That’s about as much as I can find out about them, but the tune speaks itself.



MEMPHIS #2

I’ll confess that I also struggled to find out much about our second Memphis… until I dipped my toe into the fountain of knowledge that is The Vinyl Villain. JC revealed that this Memphis was the brainchild of James Kirk. Not Shatner, but the ex-Orange Juice guitarist who also wrote Felicity (one of JC’s favourite tunes). After being dumped from the band in ’82, James disappeared for a while, resurfacing briefly as Memphis in 1985, though sadly he only ever released one 7” before going off to retrain as a chiropodist. He would return to music with a well-regarded solo album in 2003, but for today, it’s his Memphis days that concern us…


MEMPHIS #3

Our final Memphis is the only one with their own iffypedia page, and the only one to have recorded more than one 7”. In fact, this Canadian duo, made up of Torquil Campbell from Stars and Chris Dumont from Metric, have released four albums since their 2002 debut and appear to still be going strong.

Are you considering a move to Memphis? Which one takes your fancy? Vote now.


9 comments:

  1. #3 are too twee to possibly vote for, #2 passed me by completely so it's #1, the least objectionable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 for me followed closely by #2.Both pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memphis #1, by a country mile. There are two original copies of the single for sale on Discogs, one going for £1,473.29, the other for £1,601.33, a bit out of range of my wallet I fear. The 2022 reissue, priced at £9.99 is seriously tempting though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of Orange Juice and always liked You Supply The Roses so definately number 2 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Rol, i wasn't trying to get extra votes for No 2, i was getting an error message when trying to send my response so hit enter a few times before the message went :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can vote as many times as you like, Jim.

      Delete
  6. Having heard none of them before (at least not knowingly), I'm going for number 2 on the strength of the song

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, it's a close one for me between #1 and #2, but the siren (I'm such a sucker for a siren) and that thumby bass give #1 the leading edge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...