Tuesday 18 October 2022

Namesakes #8: The Honeys

Last week, we had three different bands called Memphis. I thought they were all pretty good, and the voting was a little less definitive than usual, but in the end, the original funky 70s Memphis just won out. Congratulations to them. Go buy their single for £15K, or however much The Swede is trying to save up.

This week we have a bunch of Honeys for you. Which is probably a term of endearment that’s  gone out of fashion lately. Not that I’m here to debate contemporary mores and isms. I mean, I try my best to keep up with the wind, but it keeps changing direction.


THE HONEYS #1

Our first bunch of Honeys were originally known as the Rovell Sisters: Marilyn, Barbara and Diane. They formed a group in the late 50s and were renamed The Honeys by Brian Wilson, who wrote and produced their records, hoping to make them a female counterpart to The Beach Boys (“the world’s first female surfing vocal combo”). Brian also married Marilyn, and the pair stayed together until the late 70s, which is quite a long time for a rock ‘n’ roll marriage. Their daughters Carnie & Wendy Wilson became two thirds of the band Wilson Phillips in the 90s.

THE HONEYS #2

Our second bunch of Honeys hailed from Perth, Australia, in the late 80s and made small ripples in the Sydney indie scene. Their country-flavoured debut album is definitely worth a listen. Though most of these Honeys went on to form other bands (one of which we’ll feature next week), they did reform for a second go in 2007.

THE HONEYZ #3

Our third bunch of Honeyz differentiated themselves with the Z spelling, possibly to avoid a lawsuit from Brian Wilson (although that never worried the Aussies). Or maybe they just used the Z to be more street, like graffiti, yoof, innit? What would I know? I was 25 when they formed in 1997, and already an old man. (Although, to be fair, these Honeyz are only five years younger than me.) They were originally called Essence, but changed their name when some sexist oaf in a club said, “Look at those honeys over there”. Such behaviour was fine in the 90s; he’d be shot today. Different times, as RadMac often remark. Besides, Essence sounds like a shampoo.

Like a lot of 90s/00s girl groups, their line-up was a bit of a revolving door as various members fell out, quit and re-joined amid “emotional scenes” which were no doubt captured for a yet-to-be-released Netflix documentary.

Sadly, I had to rule out The Hotrod Honeys, The Local Honeys, and (most disappointing of all) 54 Nude Honeys from inclusion in this feature. Feel free to investigate them in your own time. Meanwhile, let me know which ones caught you in their honey trap… vote now in the comments section.




5 comments:

  1. I can't vote for a band ending in Z, and #1 sound like a female Beach Boys impersonation band, as you in effect , so I'll have to go for #2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all for different reasons. The nostalgia-loving side of me would go for Brian’s Honeys but I’m going to go for the Honeysz with a z. Liked that mellow girl group sound of the 90sz.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 narrowly ahead of 1. Nothing for the Honeyz, but not becoz I have an anti-z biaz like George

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't heard any of the 3 songs before, gave them a spin and number 2 wins it for me, just ahead of number 1

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 for me - primarily due to the Brain Wilson link.
    Although #2 is close - liking that slide guitar in particular

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...