Monday 17 October 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #43: Lee Van Cleef


On Clarence Leroy Van Cleef Jr.’s tombstone, the inscription reads “The Best of the Bad”. Van Cleef played a hell of a lot of bad guys in his 38 year acting career after refusing to have his nose fixed for his debut role in High Noon. The producers offered him a more heroic part if he had the operation, Lee declined and was cast largely as bad guys from then on. Throughout the 50s he made his living getting shot in TV Western shows before hitting the big time when Sergio Leone cast him in For A Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, leading to a long and lucrative career in Spaghetti Westerns.

When searching for songs about Lee Van Cleef, I had to watch out that I wasn’t confusing him with Reggae star Devon Perkins, aka Lee Van Cleef, Le Van Cliff, Lee Vancliff, Lee V And Cliff and Cleevan Cliff, among other variations on that theme. Last week, I said that country music was second only to rap for name-dropping other artists, but Reggae must come second when it comes to bigging your own name up in song. Here he is, rub-a-dub style, with the Reggae Sunsplash…

Lee Van Cleef – Reggae Sunsplash

Onto the real Lee Van Cleef then, and we start with Finnish indie band Vesterinen Yhtyeineen. I’ll let you google translate the lyrics yourself…

Vesterinen Yhtyeineen - Lee Van Cleef

No lyrics at all in this one, but you do get to hear Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal (who’s played with Guns n Roses & Asia among others) strut his fret stuff…

Bumblefoot – The Legend of Lee Van Cleef

Here are some lyrical nods…

The Strypes – Angel Eyes

Well, I’d love to steal your heart away
But baby, I ain’t no thief
Well, I can’t be the bad guy
No, I ain’t no Lee Van Cleef

Sleaford Mods – Mysteron

They call me the Timbuktu Man
I shoot down Lee Van Cleef

The Fugees – The Score

Van Cleef must have been an irresistible name drop for Wyclef… I’m surprised he didn’t try to rhyme the names.

I creep like a thief
No doubt the man’s swift
I’m more magnificent than Lee Van Cleef

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott – When I Get Back To Blighty

The real Clint Eastwood
The real Lee Van Cleef
Ended up in a bar in Hull
Minus all their teeth

Should you be interested in such things, that’s the same song that ends with a repeated call that “Phil Collins must die” for his tax-dodging days.

John Hiatt – Bite Marks

Don’t need to teeth to eat my beef
I’m tender-hearted, ain’t no Lee Van Cleef

It strikes me that most times Lee gets mentioned in songs, it’s for his bad guy status, so it’s nice that weirdo funk-rock band Primus have a more positive take…

There ain’t never been one quite like Clint
There’s really only one Clint
But I really did like Lee Van Cleef
I sure did like Lee Van Cleef
Whatever happened to Lee Van Cleef?
Whatever happened to Lee?

Lee Van Cleef died in 1989, aged just 64, from a heart attack and throat cancer. His gravestone reads: The Best of the Bad.


6 comments:

  1. The John Hiatt track is very good. Good to see the series reverting to actors I have heard of, none of that modern nonsense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wednesday's edition features someone born in 1901, so she should be right up your street, George.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No. That's one I think might take a while to compile.

      Delete
  3. Great selections there, Rol, I remain in awe of your ability to mine these deep but rich musical seams. Lee Van Cleef was arguably the standout performance in Escape From New York, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Probably one if his last great roles.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...