Monday 7 November 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #48: Spencer Tracy

Spencer Tracy’s middle name was Bonaventure. I think we can stop there, can’t we? 

No? 

He was born in 1900, and appeared in 75 films between 1930 and 1967, the year of his death. He was also the first person to win a Best Actor Oscar two consecutive years running. The only other actor to do that… we won’t mention, because he brings me out in hives. Let’s just say he’s no Spencer Tracy.

Like Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy enjoys international renown, even today. So let’s start our brief journey through his musical mentions in Sweden.

Bo Sundström is the lead singer of Swedish pop-jazz band Bo Kaspers Orkester. Today, he’s left the Orkester at home…

Bo Sundström – Spencer Tracy

Jag kommer aldrig bli kär
Jag kommer aldrig bli kär
Jag kommer aldrig bli kär
Som Spencer Tracy

I initially thought this might translate as “I will never be a man like Spencer Tracy”, but it seems “I will never fall in love like Spencer Tracy” seems more likely. Either way, Bo’s probably right.

Meanwhile, in Germany…

Nils Koppruch – Stadt In Angst

Es gibt kein Bett in der ganzen Stadt
Dass Lee Marvin nicht gemietet hat
Verloren in der Wüste und der Arzt ist krank,
Genau wie Spencer Tracey in die Stadt in Angst

My universal translator may be on the fritz here (see what I did there?), but this seems to suggest there’s not a bed in town that Lee Marvin hasn’t rented, that he’s lost in the desert and the doctor is ill, and as a result Spencer Tracy comes to town in fear. Make of that what you will.

No translator needed for The Good Rats, as they hail from Long Island. They have featured on this blog a number of times before, as I’m particularly fond of their song Advertisement In The Voice. This comes from the same album, Ratcity In Blue…

The Good Rats – Tough Guys

Tough guys
Always been my kind of man
Doin' the things that I can't
Tough guys

Let's not ignore
The greatest of all
Ladies and gentlemen
Spencer Tracy!

From Long Island to Long Fin Killie, a band I’ve never heard of before. Apparently they’re Scottish and came along at the height of my musical heyday in the late 90s, so I’m surprised I never stumbled across them after all these years down the mines.

Long Fin Killie – Valentino

And this is why I wish I could be
Just like Spencer Tracy
But I don't have the build or the poise
And I'm a few pounds shy

If I were more like Spencer
I might not carry this handful of broken fingers
Just 'cause I saw Valentino smoking under the streetlight

From Salford, here’s someone we’ve all heard of…

Elkie Brooks – When The Hero Walks Alone

I've been staring at the late show
Instead of holding you
Watching lovers learn to let go
The way that heroes do

Had my heart on Spencer Tracy
But I got Bogart in the cold
It can drive a woman crazy
When the hero walks alone

Now here's a band who didn't make many records, but are still firm favourites with certain parts of the blogosphere...

Tallulah Gosh – Bringing Up Baby

Thinks storms are lovely weather
She says, "What day is it John?"
"What day is it?"
And they begin
To think of them as one person
Really the girl and Spencer Tracy
Cheekbones you could cut
La la la la la la la la la la la

Carlos Perón was a founding member of Yello. He quit to pursue a solo career just before Dieter Meier and Boris Blank hit the big time.

Carlos Perón – Los Alamos

Harold M. Agnew’s elbows
Make a pair of wings for his head
On top of which his hands fold in a clasp
He looks like Spencer Tracy now…

That last line might be familiar to you, as it’s also the title of my favourite Spencer Tracy song, from Deacon Blue’s debut album, Raintown. That's what I'll leave you with today. Thank you for your kind attention.


5 comments:

  1. Now that is a great choice for this feature. I hope some of the songs are worth a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the only song about Spencer Tracy was the one by Deacon Blue. Look how wrong you can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and some were worth a listen, including the Elkie Brooks song

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checked who else won an Oscar back to back - of course. Why you thought you'd struggle with the Elvis movie.

    Suspected there might be quite a few Spencer songs but love that Deacon Blue one. Another band from Dundee started out called Spencer Tracy but after copyright issues or some such thing, they had to change their name to Danny Wilson. Fun fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyson. I wish I'd known that when writing the post. Still, these comments work as fascinating footnotes for the stuff I've left out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...