Wednesday 16 November 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #51: Tuesday Weld


The most prominent fact I knew about Tuesday Weld was that there was a band named after her. And rather a good band too…

Although I’m unlikely to feature them in Namesakes any time soon, those guys are not the only band to take Tuesday’s monicker. Here’s a German combo from the 90s…

Tuesday Weld – Less Complicated

Whatever: I figured this would be a quick one. Then I started digging, and soon discovered that Tuesday (real name Susan) crops up in quite a few tunes, possibly due to her reputation for playing “impulsive and reckless women acting out sexually”. A former model and child star, Tuesday turned down the chance to play Lolita in the Stanley Kubrick film because, “I didn’t have to play it. I was Lolita.” She also turned down starring roles in Bonnie & Clyde, Rosemary’s Baby and True Grit, apparently because she knew they would be big hits and didn’t want the pressure. Perhaps that’s why she dated Elvis but married Dudley Moore.

There’s a lot more to Tuesday’s story, but you didn’t come here for the biog. You came for the songs. (Yes, you did.)

Matthew Sweet included a photo of Tuesday Weld on one of his album covers. Initially the album was called “Nothing Lasts” but apparently Tuesday didn’t like the inference, so Sweet changed the title to Girlfriend.

Matthew Sweet – Girlfriend

In a similar genre to Matthew, here are Doublepluspop, a band who formed in the late 90s, recorded a bunch of power pop gems, then put them in the cupboard for a couple of decades, finally releasing them in 2020.

Doublepluspop - If I Wasn't in Love

You can do your Tuesday Weld impersonation
I’ll try Steve McQueen
Once you’ve been the object of their fantasies
Then what does true love mean?

Still power-popping, here are some Yep Roc favourites from the 90s…

The Mayflies USA – Sodium Pentothal

I wish I had a sodium pentothal
Cause I can’t be trusted
With Tuesday Weld in Lagerfeld
Talking like a sailor and shining like a parasol

Remember City Boy? Turns out 5705 wasn’t their only number…

City Boy – Summer In The Schoolyard

She was Marilyn, Tuesday Weld
We were just 13, but what the hell?

In case you’re wondering, it was an unrequited romance…

She wore a pin for a college boy
Life’s cruel to me
She couldn’t care for the kid with dirty knees

There’s this thing called a sponge? I’m pretty sure they had those back in the 70s too, City Boy.

Tuesday also gets mentioned in the soundtrack to Hair alongside Andy Warhol, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, and Popeye. Pretty good company to keep.

Hair Musical Cast - Ain’t Got No (Reprise)

Let’s hear now from Herbert Butros Khaury. You might know him better as…

Tiny Tim – Then I’d Be Satisfied With Life

If I only owned the Pennsylvania Railroad
And if Tuesday Weld would only be my wife (Oh, Tiny!)
If I could only stay sixteen forever
Then I'd know that I'd be satisfied with life.

70s rock dude Walter Egan is the only songwriter I found to have named a song after Tuesday…

Walter Egan – Tuesday Weld

Never mind Sandra Dee and Yvette Mimieux
Forget Carol Lynley, ‘cos she will never do
If you see Connie Stevens, just take her away
‘Cos she can’t hold a candle to, to, to, to
Tuesday!

Although they don’t mention her surname, Swan Dive took Ms. Weld as inspiration for this catchy little tune…

Swan Dive – Groovy Tuesday

She’s groovy like it’s 1969
Gives me peace and love
Makes me feel so fine
She’s got some crazy notions
But I don’t mind at all
‘Cos each time she comes around, I fall
For Groovy Tuesday

The male vocalist in Swan Dive was Bill DeMain, a regular guest on Ricky Ross’s Radio Scotland show, where he provides musical updates from his home town of Nashville.

I did find a few other lyrical references to Tuesday Weld, but none of them were really worthy of keeping company with any of the fine tunes listed above. And they certainly weren’t in the same class as today's final tune, from a truly classic 80s album…

Introduce me to that big blonde
She’s got a touch of Tuesday Weld
She’s wearing Ambush and a French Twist
She’s got us wild and she can tell
She loves to limbo, that much is clear
She’s got the right dynamic for the New Frontier




3 comments:

  1. So many songs written about her, yet I was hard-pressed to think of any film she had been in. Realised I know her name more because she was married to Dudley Moore.

    Great final song from one of my favourite albums yet I had never noticed that line before about Tuesday Weld. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably knew less about her than you when I started this post, Alyson.

      And yes, The Nightfly is a great album. One of the best.

      Delete
  2. A great post, Rol, as usual. I hadn't heard Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet in years until Charity Chic posted it recently and here it is again. Good to be reminded what a great song and album it is. And the cover shot of Tuesday Weld is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...