Wednesday 9 November 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #49: Ally Sheedy

“When you grow up, your heart dies.” So says Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club, one of those movies that is inextricably linked with my adolescence, but probably means much less to you if you weren’t a teenager in the 80s. Sheedy was part of the Brat Pack: young actors who made a name for themselves in a string of movies focussed on teens / early 20s, and also occasionally for their outrageous off-screen behaviour… in Ally’s case, that largely involved dating Ritchie Sambora from By Jovi and indulging in the rock ‘n’ roll excess that comes with that job. Sheedy also starred in War Games, Short Circuit and St Elmo’s Fire, all films that have a place in my heart. You had to be there.

In later years, Sheedy moved away from acting, becoming a theatre teacher and book editor, although she is enjoying a comeback at the moment in the TV show Single Drunk Female.

How does Ally fare in the world of popular music? Let’s find out, starting with…

Rah Digga feat. Busta Rhymes – Imperial

Did you know that Busta Rhymes’s real name is Trevor? (It is.) I included this track just so that I could tell you that; he doesn’t even rap the lines below, they come from Rah Digga, whose real name is Beryl. (It’s not.) Also, Musical Youth are turning in their middle-aged beds.

Sayin' peace when you see me; play the role like Ally Sheedy
And I ain't gon' join ya cipher if the weed's too seedy

From Busta Rhymes to some dubious rhymes courtesy of this Canadian power pop star influenced by 60s girl groups…

Peach Kelli Pop – Cherry (That’s Not Her Real Name)

That really is a title of the song, not a continuation of the Trevor gag. (But his name really is Trevor. Google it if you don't believe me.)

Pink flamingo
90s Nintendo
Power nap
Spaghetti straps
Caller ID
Says Ally Sheedy

I did say I wasn’t going to embarrass myself my featuring rappers unless I’m familiar with their work, but I thought it was worth mentioning this one from MC Frontalot, because when I initially saw it, I thought he’d written a song about Charity Chic.

MC Frontalot – Charity Case

I love you so damn much I'll sell ya CDs.
I'm greedy to get loved back like Ally Sheedy
In War Games.

How about a punk song?

Coaster Thieves – Punk Song

Dirty Billy never finished school
Uncle Ernie had a crooked tool
Cousin Larry was a dancin' fool
Ally Sheedy used to be real cool

But they all believe and they sing along
They find the key to life in some big punk song

Well, don't we all?

Next some lesbian punk from a band whose name unfortunately sounds like Butt Cheese, and once you’ve realised that, you’ve probably condemned them before even giving them a try… but you should, because they're easier on the ears than anything else I've played so far today.

The Butchies – Movies Movies

It’s like Ally Sheedy says,
She’s the protagonist in your head
Like an anthem or a bad PA system
Or arugula or kiss me now

The reason I decided to feature Ally today was because she is namechecked in a song on the new Ezra Furman album. It’s a fine tune, but not the best song on the album, which is definitely Forever In Sunset, channelling Ezra’s Springsteen influences.

Ezra Furman – Ally Sheedy In The Breakfast Club

Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club
The black shit on your eyes, your purse full of junk
I build my world on versions of your VHS visage
And when Anthony Michael Hall interrogated you about the way you
Hoarded all your secrets in a bag around your neck

Part of me was swimming there beneath the water in your eyes
Silent she, keeping quiet as the joy and fury rise
Taking their time

That was going to be my final tune today, but then I discovered something I liked even more. Your mileage may vary, but Howell Dawdy is definitely someone I’m going to be investigating further… and that’s one of the main reasons I’m doing this feature: to discover new artists.

I’m not going to quote the lyrical reference to Ally Sheedy here as it doesn’t make much sense without listening to the whole tune. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on.



4 comments:

  1. Me and MC Frontalot (Frontie to his mates) go back a long way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed that Howell Dandy track, put a smile on my face. As did the Breakfast Club pic of AS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that it was when the now Mrs CC said "I love you so damn much I'll sell ya CDs" that Charity Chic realised she was The One. It's a very romantic tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greats tuff and always a pleasure to see Ally Sheedy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...