Tuesday 22 November 2022

Namesakes #13: Placebo

Last week it was Always vs. Alvvays, with the double Vs soundly thrashing the double Us.

This week, you all need to take your medicine. And really believe it’s going to make you better…

PLACEBO #1

Your first dose comprises a measure of early-70s Jazz-Rock from Belgium. This Placebo were the brainchild of Brussels-born “jazz legend” Marc Moulin. They released three albums between 1971 and 1974, most notably their debut record Ball Of Eyes which had a very distinctive cover.

Moulin went on to join “avant-rock” band Aksak Maboul (I’m always wary of bands that use the prefix “avant”) before discovering synths and forming the electro-pop group Telex. 

Here’s a track from Ball Of Eyes… Nice!

PLACEBO #2

Skip forward to 1982 and the Durham village of Pity Me, which has officially become my favourite place in the world. I’m seriously thinking of moving there. In Pity Me, you would find Guardian Studios, wherein Gary and Michelle Wild recorded their sole album as Placebo, England’s Trance. I had to do some real digging to find out about this one, but I think one or two of you may well dig its spiky new wave vibe…

The album was re-issued in the 90s, rebranded as “The Original Placebo” (although, as we now know, that’s not strictly true).

PLACEBO #3

Most of you will be familiar with Leslie Feist, usually known by her surname alone, of iPod-flogging 1234 fame. But did you know that she started her musical career at 15 as the lead singer in an early 90s Canadian punk bank called Placebo? 

You didn’t?

Well, you do now.

PLACEBO #4

Probably the Placebo you’re most familiar with, Brian Molko’s band formed in the mid-90s and released a debut album full of cracking guitar tunes that still sound good today. Since then, they’ve released another seven long players and are still going strong, although I can’t say I’ve heard anything from them lately that sounds half as good as Nancy Boy.

It’s like a medical trial! Four different Placebos to choose from… but which one makes you feel better? Let me know in the comments…


5 comments:

  1. It's a difficult choice for me this week, My initial inclination was to disregard the jazz.fusion as a right load of old bobbins, and on listening I quickly changed my mind. #2 is also worth listening to. Both will feature on vol. 200 if my downloads compilations. #3 and 4 will not. So it's #1 for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr SDS and I both heard and fell in love with the England's Trance all those years ago, after hearing some tracks on John Peel. It really is quite special and takes me right back to hear it again, especially so unexpectedly here this morning and I'd recommend the rest of the album too. So Placebo #2 it is for me ( with a consolation prize to #4's Brian Molko (for being Brian Molko)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was tempted to follow George and opt for the Belgian Blood Sweat & Tears, but like C I am plumping for the Pity Me Placebo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 sounded unexpectedly promising until the vocals kicked in. #2 is very good, kind of Folk Rock meets New Wave. #3 was the real surprise for me. I like Feist a lot, but was unaware of her early work - and this is a cracker. I loved #4's first two albums at the time (Burger Queen is surely the best Robert Smith song that Robert Smith never wrote), though I felt that their quality control tailed off severely thereafter.
    Overall, #3 is my favourite I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #3 for me.
    I like #4 in small doses, but they never seemed to have longevity of interest about them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...