Friday 11 November 2022

Self-Loathing Friday #2: Spanish Love Songs

I had to text Louise the other day to tell her I had a doctor’s appointment. Suddenly, I got all hung up on whether to put an apostrophe in “docs”.  It wasn’t possessive (as in doc’s appointment) but should I use the apostrophe of abbreviation? Surely doc is such an accepted abbreviation for doctor that it’s not necessary to identify it as such anymore. A lot of apostrophes get dropped from common abbreviations these days, and I’m all right with it. Then again, a lot of apostrophes get dropped from pronoun abbreviations too, but I fervently disagree with that and will fight for I’ll and They’re till my dying day. But do you see how something as simple as sending a quick message can take much longer than it needs to when you’re an English teacher a neurotic pedant? I should have just written doctors and had done with it. Abbreviations are supposed to save time!

Ben recommended today’s Self-Loathing Song. In case you were wondering: yes, Ben is still around. I just felt people were getting a bit bored of our rambling bull sessions, and besides, all we seem to talk about these days is comics and horror films. 

Spanish Love Songs are not from Spain and don't write love songs. They describe their sound as “Grouchrock”, which immediately endeared them to me. Ben said they write “emo for men in their 30s”, which is fine for him, I guess, but 20 years too young for me. He clarified, “not having a breakdown because a girl doesn’t like you, but more existential issues”. Existential angst? Sign me up…

My dad says that I'd probably have more fans
If I could learn to sing about some happier shit
Instead of wallowing in my shortcomings
My gross insecurities, be less narcissistic
Maybe show some humility

My mom sighs "wow" from under her breath
She wonders how the hell I can live like this
My shelf life, it expired months ago
But I keep tricking the ones
I claim to love into these situations

Well, I want to wake up and maybe be better
I want to come through and not be second guessed
I want to find the money to fix my nose
And learn to breathe without pacing
I don't want to be depressed
I want to find a haircut that fits me
That hasn't been co-opted by Nazis
I'll settle for some rest, I want to move on
I want to feel more important
I'm trying to be fine
I swear I'm trying to be my best


11 comments:

  1. "They’re till my dying day"
    Former teacher of mathematics writes : is not "until my dying day" or " 'til my dying day"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I was expecting a slow dirge but quite the opposite.

    As for the existential angst I hear you, and I don't know if it's because I spend too much time at home, but I too have been far too preoccupied of late trying to find a haircut that suits me, and a nose, and teeth. Body dysmorphia I think - got to get out more.

    I've just posted something new and had a last-minute panic because I'd put the apostrophe in the wrong place in the word O' - I had erroneously put it at the beginning rather than the end when shortening 'of'. Who nowadays would care? I join in on a lot of forums where we discuss things relevant to our businesses and the people who seem to be most successful can't seem to differentiate between There, their and they're - it's all 'there' nowadays whatever the context. Don't get me started on the of/off and to/too mistakes. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last para (para'?!) reminds me of a time years ago when a colleague wanted some help with spelling something and she asked me if it should be "could of" or "could off"....eek.

      Delete
  3. I get the same pause over photos/photo's. Damn apostrophe of abbreviation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, when blogging, do you hark back to the ‘70s, the 70s or the 70’s (other decades are available).
      Alyson

      Delete
    2. There's no apostrophe in 70s unless its possessive. So we grew up in the 70s listening to 70's songs. But it's very easy to get the wrong one. Easier to write Seventies (but do I need that capital!?!)

      Delete
    3. I thought I had to apostrophise the 19 bit which is missing in decade references like 70s. Why do we do it for letters but not numbers, I wonder?

      Delete
    4. Good point, C. I have no objection to '70s, at least it follows a rule.

      Delete
    5. Yes, it was one of the things I had to work out when I started my blog so now stick with either '70s or 1970s (saves any debate). The 'Seventies' just doesn't do it for me - too long and wordy for something we always think of in numbers.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...