Monday 14 November 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #50: Jerry Lee Lewis

It struck me that I haven’t yet marked the passing of the last of the original rock n rollers, Jerry Lee Lewis. Chuck, Buddy, Gene, Eddie, Elvis… all the rest are long gone. Some died very young (I often find myself wondering what Buddy Holly would have done next), but only Jerry Lee got to really grow old disgracefully. A controversial figure, to be sure, but there’s no denying the power of his music. 

For songs that mention Jerry Lee by name, we need look no further than Jerry Lee himself. Here are just a few…

Jerry Lee Lewis - A Damned Good Country Song 

Well, I’ve took enough pills for big Memphis town
Ol’ Jerry Lee's drank enough whiskey to lift any ship off the ground
I’ll be the first to admit
Sure do wish these people would quit it
You know it’s tough enough
To straighten up
When these idiots won’t leave you alone
Jerry Lee Lewis’s life would make a damned good country song

Jerry Lee Lewis - Trouble In Mind 

Troubled in mind, I’m so blue
But I won’t be blue always
Cause that ol’ sun’s gonna shine
On ol' Jerry's back doorstep someday

Jerry Lee Lewis -  Rockin’ My Life Away 

I’m just rockin’ and rollin’ my life away
My name’s Jerry Lee Lewis and I’m darn sure here to stay

Jerry Lee Lewis - Better Not Look Down 

In which Jerry Lee gives advice to the Queen. Curious that they both left us within just a couple of months of each other. 

And did you know that Jerry Lee Lewis invented Jive Bunny? He might as well have…

Jerry Lee Lewis – The Return Of Jerry Lee 

Finally, and perhaps most apt…

Jerry Lee Lewis - When I Take My Vacation In Heaven

Jerry Lee is going to spend his vacation in Heaven
With loved ones gone on before Jerry Lee
It’ll be Jesus, my saviour
Forever and ever
Please spend your vacation with me

See? He’s not really gone. Just taking an extended vacation.

What about other songwriters? What do they have to say about Jerry Lee?

Let’s start with Ray…

The Kinks – One Of The Survivors

He digs Jerry Lee Lewis, Dion and The Belmonts, 
And Johnny and The Hurricanes.

In case you’re keeping score, Johnny Paris died in 2006. Dion DiMucci, on the other hand, is still with us. I guess he might be the last man standing now. (Unless we count Willie Nelson, 6 years older than Dion and still going strong.)

The late Ian Dury also placed Jerry Lee in some very fine company…

Ian Dury & The Blockheads – Dance of the Crackpots

From Rosemary Clooney to Jerry Lee Lewis
From Debussy to Thelonious Monk
It’s the modern art of the human heart
The shape of things to funk, funk, funk

And here’s a song that name-drops everyone from Creedence to Otis to Missy Elliott to Korn. Chances are this one will pop up again.

Racket County – The Truth

One more of those, Paul Heaton’s celebration of jukebox records…

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott – 7” Singles

However, we must remember that Jerry Lee Lewis wasn’t exactly a paragon of virtue. For example…

Big Audio Dynamite – BAD

Jerry Lee Lewis had a child bride
Only thirteen, but he said he's justified

Indie rocker Ike Reilly writes lyrics more suited to a rap song, but though he’s been described as “rude, crude and lewd”, he also has something to say, and does so in quite a clever way.

The Ike Reilly Assassination – I Don’t Want What You Got (Goin’ On)

Chuck Berry, Cadillac, Ludacris, Cadillac
Jerry Lee Lewis with his balls on fire 
In the back of a Rocket 88
With an out-of-state plate and an underage date
Cars and girls and drinks and songs
Leave that shit in the middle of the road
What about love and what about trust?

And that’s not the only trouble Jerry Lee got into. Remember the time he shot his bass player? (It was an accident, apparently, but he still got sued.)

Reverend Horton Heat - Death Metal Guys

Jerry Lee Lewis shot his bass player down
Down to the ground
But death metal guys would have eaten his brain
And people call Jerry Lee Lewis insane!

There’s no denying Jerry Lee had a bit of a reputation… but was he really evil?

Ministry – Jesus Built My Hotrod 

"Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry Lee Lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do
Was ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long"

Then again, you could argue that’s what made him interesting! More interesting than a lot of young rock stars these days…

The Stone Coyotes – American Child

Somebody tell me
What’s going on?
Where are the wild ones?
Where have they gone?
Give me Jerry Lee Lewis
Give me Joey Ramone

Some of these new boys
They say they want to fight
But it takes them three days
To get the drum sound right

In truth, there were far more records that mentioned Jerry Lee than I’ve got time or inclination to feature here. But here are just a few of them…

Mac Davis – Hooked On Music

Ringo Starr – I’ll Be Fine Anywhere

Apple – Doctor Rock

Johnny Hallyday – Excusez-moi de chanter encore du rock and roll

Drive-By Truckers – Demonic Possession

Eddy Mitchell – Les Filles de Jerry Lee Lewis

Kid Rock & Eminem – Fuck Off

Miranda Lambert & The B52s – Music City Queen

Van Morrison – In The Days Before Rock n Roll

But this is the song I chose to close with today. Because Frank Turner understands the spirit of rock n roll that Jerry embodied. And just like I do, Frank still believes…

And I still believe
In the saints
Yeah, in Jerry Lee and in Johnny
And all the greats




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...