Monday 21 November 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #52: George Lazenby


Some would say George Lazenby is the worst actor to ever play James Bond. And yet, he appears in the best James Bond movie: On Her Majesty’s Secret Service. The only James Bond movie where Bond’s character is allowed to develop, and then have the rug pulled out from him at the end with a genuine tragedy. (Some might argue they tried to do something similar with the Daniel Craig films, but as I’ve mentioned before, much as I like Craig as an actor, I didn’t like his films at all… to the point where I feel I’m over Bond now. Which is probably for the best.)

I generally write these posts a week in advance now, and last weekend I had my covid booster, which knocked me for six. Therefore, I tried to pick someone who wouldn’t feature in too many songs, and for once I was right.

Let’s start with Nigel Blackwell: always a welcome addition to these pages. He doesn’t mention George by name, BUT…

Half Man Half Biscuit – Reasons To Be Miserable (Part 10)

And there’s the person who collects all things Pierrot
And loves Siamese cats
And thinks they’re sophisticated because they eat Fry’s Chocolate Cream
And they’d do anything to spend the night with that fella off the Turkish Delight advert
Who’s full of Eastern Monosodium glutamate…

As you may recall, before he became Bond, George floggedTurkish Delight.

In case you’re wondering, I did find a band called Lazenby, but it appears they’re named after their lead singer, Sarah Lazenby.

Lazenby – Listening To Joni

Over at Charity Chic’s place, I found myself in the uncomfortable position of having to vote against The Blogmaster General (JC) in CC’s ongoing Townes Covered feature. To make up for that, and to prove I do like Tindersticks, I’m offering some chocolate…

Tindersticks – Chocolate

She even agreed On Her Majesty’s Secret Service was the best Bond film
If you accept it as a whole and not just get hung up about George Lazenby.

There’s a whole 9 minute story to that one, with an amusing twist at the end. I’d recommend giving it a listen if you have the time.

But today’s winning tune comes from Norwegian songwriter Sondre Lerche (although he apparently lives in L.A. now… mustn’t like the cold).

Some of you may think that I regret some of my doings
I’d do it all again
If I had the chance
Just like Lazenby

Can I do it over?
Don’t I get a second try?
Every time I messed up my lines and stumbled
Just like Lazenby



2 comments:

  1. Great post, Rol. Worth the price of admission alone for Half Man Half Biscuit.

    Always good to hear Sondre Lerche, too. On a completely different note (see what I did there?) have you heard his cover of Nightingales by Prefab Sprout? Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I've heard that, but I do like his voice, so I'll add it to the list. Cheers.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...