Thursday 5 May 2022

2022 Contenders: A Divine Hidden Album


One of our greatest living songwriters has released one of the best albums of the year, yet very few people know about it. That's because it's an extra disc, hidden away at the back of a new 2-CD Greatest Hits collection. It's called the Super Extra Bonus album and it comes only with the Special Edition of The Divine Comedy's latest collection... but it's as good as any of the albums Neil Hannon has released previously (and there have been some very good ones, which is why the 2-CD Best Of is an essential purchase for most people, regardless). 

The CD contains ten songs in total, 11 if you count The Best Mistakes, a brand new, career-appraising single Hannon snuck into the middle of all the oldies on the other discs...


It's strange to think that The Divine Comedy sprang up during Britpop, and were even championed by that era's biggest cheerleader, Chris Evans. Because Neil Hannon's music is about as far away from Shed Seven and Ocean Colour Scene as could be, has nothing in common with Blur or Oasis, and shares only an arched eyebrow with Jarvis Cocker's Pulp. It owes far more to Cole Porter, Noel Coward and 60s crooners like Scott Walker and even Engelbert Humperdinck than it does the stadium-rattling guitar anthems that soundtracked much of my 20s. Yet it's all the more timeless for that. 

Perhaps that's why, of all the bands listed above, The Divine Comedy are the only one still going strong, still producing essential albums, while their oldies haven't dated a bit. 

Hannon's unique character shines through on this latest collection - he always comes across as a cheeky chap,  yet rather lazy. A rakish bon vivant who doesn't really like leaving the house. It's a part he's played for years now, and he sets his stall perfectly with the opening track here...

One day I'll marshal my resources
One day I'll write my symphony
One day I'll fight for noble causes
One day I'll finish Ulysses
One day I'll stand for public office
One day I'll have my finest hour
I'll say "Put people before profit"
And they will sweep me into power

'Till then I'll watch some television
'Till then I'll struggle out of bed
'Till then I'll work with what I'm given
'Till then I'll take what I can get

As he says on his website, "I know there are all these brilliant and worthwhile things I should be doing, but frankly who can be arsed?"

This continues on the song Don't Make Me Go Outside, which Hannon claims recaptures the lonely summers of his youth. 

Please don't make me go outside
I might meet someone I know
No, don't make me go outside
I'd have to say hello
Well everyone else knows what to do
Knows what is what
Knows who is who
If you don't mind
I think I'll stay inside

I can empathise...

Not that he doesn't secretly wish he was The Adventurous Type, mind...


In truth, there's not a song in this collection that doesn't make me grin from ear to ear. From the "pretend Eurovision hit" that pays tongue-in-cheek tribute to Julio and Enrique Iglesias, Te Amo EspaƱa... to the Scooby-quoting ode to Greta Thunberg, Those Pesky Kids.

Best of all is this aching Porter-esque ballad that doubles up as both a "missing you" tune and a reaction to the Covid lockdown. 


It's worth reiterating that all these songs are hidden away on a limited edition "for fans only" bonus disc. Most artists would give their eye teeth for such a quality collection of tunes. Hannon releases them without any fanfare at all. Just another of the Best Mistakes he's ever made...


3 comments:

  1. Cheers, Rol. I saw Charmed Life and thought I could get by without it, seeing as I already had A Secret History ... but I've just ordered it now, on the strength of your review of the third disc. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess who only bought the standard version? What a fool.
    Listened to the extra album on that there Spotify and will be slapping myself continuously for my tight-arsedness.
    Every home should have one (although this home is 33% short at the moment)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not Britpop, Chamber pop (could be easily misread).

    Liked that faux Eurovision hit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...