Monday 9 May 2022

Monday Morning Blues #1: Mother Blues


The weird thing is, I don't really feel the Monday Morning Blues anymore. I enjoy the new job so much, I actually look forward to going back to work. That's not to say I wouldn't rather have the day off though...

Anyway, it occurred to me that the word Blues appears in a heck of a lot of song titles in my music collection, and only a small percentage of them are straight-forward blues records of the "Woke up this morning..." variety. It could, of course, be argued that all pop music has its roots in the blues, so they're all blues songs in their own way. Whatever. A new series beckons...

And we start with yet another Grumpy Old Man of the Americana world, with this semi-autobiographical "How I Met Your Mother" song (another woman involved, naturally). Couple of reasons I love this: firstly, the true love affair here is with his Gold Top Les Paul gee-tar; secondly, the whole Polk Salad Annie bit... although, being an English teacher, I have to take issue with Ray's use of metaphor...

So we hit it off, me and this dancer
We hit it off like a metaphor
Like a metaphor for a hydrogen bomb
We was enriched uranium, supercritical mass
We was a, a chain reaction
It was love and lust
Ah, mostly lust, but a mutual attraction

I mean, if it's like a metaphor, surely that makes it a simile, Ray?



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like a bit of RWH.I've seen him a couple of times.He puts on a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what about that verb conjugation? Still, I mainly came here to say how glad I am to hear that you actually look forward to your Monday mornings at work in your new job. It's so good to know.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...