Tuesday 3 May 2022

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #80: Better Put My Glasses On


I insisted that I'd wait till I was 50. Given that my back and my ears went a long time ago, I was hanging onto my eyesight as the last vestiges of some kind of youthful something, even though the small print has been getting harder to read for some time now.

Reading glasses, then. My head is having a hard time getting used to the adjustment. But on the bright side, maybe I'll read more, if I'm not struggling so much to read the print late at night. I remember grumbling a while back that Stephen King novels were getting harder to read because the text kept getting smaller. Now I'm wondering if the text hadn't changed at all, it was just my eyes.

I have two pairs, and I haven't lost them yet, so I can't play James McMurtry today. Instead, here's the always-reliable Chip Taylor...



5 comments:

  1. Spooky that you mention your need for glasses. I got a new pair of glasses last week. These are for watching TV as I already have reading glasses. As the saying goes: "Old age does not come alone" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's something that all glasses wearers take for granted, but it continues to blow my mind that different glasses work on different parts of your vision. It's more than my tiny brain can cope with.

      Delete
  2. Really lovely photo Rol! Your new specs suit you very welll; you've done alright too, getting to 50 without them. Had to get reading glasses at 40 but I've been wearing varifocals full-time for a few years now. If I ever want to feel pissed, I just take them off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely picture and like the style of glasses. We already know how clever you are, but those specs make you look very scholarly indeed.

    I got my first glasses for distance at 24 after an odd experience at the theatre with some friends. Afterwards they all discussed the many famous faces that had popped up the show, none of which I had recognised as I couldn't make out their faces. I had assumed everyone was the same. (I hadn't yet learnt to drive at this point so wasn't a danger on the roads). Don't yet need glasses for close-up and still only wear the distance ones when I need to, which means I spend most of my life walking past people I know in town which looks rude. Bonus is I never see my wrinkles when I look in the mirror. Living life in soft focus has its benefits.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...