Sunday 10 July 2022

Snapshots #248: A Top Ten Garden Songs

I'm very sorry to say that I couldn't find a picture of Alan Titchmarsh holding a camera, so this nice lady had to fill in.

Ten songs about gardens. I hope the weather stays nice.


10. The shortest of you replaces PJ. 

When I said the shortest, I meant shortest name, nothing to do with stature. That would be C

And if C replaced PJ in PJ & Duncan, we would get...

C Duncan - Garden

9. "Open up and say ahhhhhhh."

The Dentists, obviously.

The Dentists - Strawberries Are Growing In My Garden (And It's Wintertime)

8. He looked at me and then I blushed, Stevie Ray.

"He looked at me and then I blushed," is a line from Frankie.

Add that to Stevie Ray Vaughan and you get...

Frankie Vaughan - Garden of Eden

7. Time is the greatest of them. 

Time may be a great healer, but it is also a great leveller.

The Levellers - This Garden

6. Lennon's randy mix-up.

Mix up the letters in "Lennon's randy" and you get...

Lynn Anderson - (I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden

I know I'm not supposed to anymore, but I really like Morrisey's version of that.

5. Wake up, little wailer.

Wake up, little Susie, there's a wailing banshee at the door.

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Hong Kong Garden

4. Puds rising deftly.

Anagram!

This is rather an obscure Dusty song, but it was written by Jimmy Webb, so it's obviously amazing.

Dusty Springfield - Magic Garden

3. So I go and I stand on my own, and I leave on my own...

"So I go and I stand on my own" is what happens to Wallflowers at discos. As Morrissey obviously knows.

The Wallflowers - Who's That Man Walking Round My Garden?

If you missed that the last time I featured it on this blog, give it a spin today.

2. The One With Monica's New Haircut.

Sounds like an episode of Friends in which Courtney Cox has a new barnet...

Courtney Barnett - Avant Gardener

So many great lines in that track, but my favourite is the bit where she gets carted away in an ambulance after quoting All Shook Up...

The paramedic thinks I'm clever 'cause I play guitar
I think she's clever 'cos she stops people dying

1. Office boss with a column. 


The boss in The Office was Ricky Gervais. Add Nelson's Column and you get...

Ricky Nelson - Garden Party


Enjoy your gardens this weekend, if you're lucky enough to have a garden. Snapshots will return next week...



2 comments:

  1. Haha - "...And if C replaced PJ in PJ & Duncan..." (but I look so crap in a baseball cap!)
    Another great SS, Rol, thanks. Good to be reminded of the Dentists too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, I was way off on No. 10. I thought it might be Harvey Williams. Glad I kept that to myself. Uh, never mind. I guess I didn't. Another good time, Rol. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...