Wednesday 20 July 2022

Positive Songs For Negative Times #72: Heatwave

The thermometer in our garden on Tuesday morning.


“I used the aircon in my car for the first time ever yesterday. I don’t care about the extra petrol. Opening the windows just made it hotter.”

“Sam’s staying up late again tonight. There’s no point him trying to get to sleep in a 30 degree bedroom.”

“My brain has turned to mush. I keep staring at the screen and not making any sense of what I’m writing.”

“I work in a brand new building, but there’s no aircon because they wanted it to be green.”

“They’re gritting the roads with sand to stop the tarmac melting.”


A selection of utterances that spluttered from my sweaty lips on Monday and Tuesday this week. 

Meanwhile, I repeatedly had other people reminding me how the heatwave of 1976 was much hotter or grumbling that “we’re just not set up for extreme weather in this country – they manage it much better in other parts of the world”.


Still, the school holidays start next week. And for the first time in my 11 year teaching career, I will be off with Sam for the full six weeks. (Insert “bloody teachers!” comment here.) You can guarantee it’ll be chucking it down from Monday…

Ben suggested I play this. It’s the obvious suggestion, but sometimes the obvious suggestion is best. 


On the other hand, I could have gone with this...



4 comments:

  1. A very different kind of heatwave!

    Great news about the 6 weeks holiday - another fantastic reason to have changed jobs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...