Friday 15 July 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #10: Gloria Grahame

Thanks to George for keeping this feature going with another list of suggestions. Writing it is proving an entertaining diversion from real life, which is why I'm running it three times a week at present: to cut down on the misery and self pity posts.

I have to admit, I almost gave up on today's suggestion, although I didn't want to as I do like Ms. Grahame - from her spunky role in It's A Wonderful Life to her later noir sex symbol success opposite Bogie and Glenn Ford. She had quite the life off-screen too... turns out she really was a girl who Cain't Say No.

I could fill you in on the sordid details... or I could let Aussie songwriter Dave Graney do the job for me, as he does here in the only song ever written about Gloria Grahame... unless you know otherwise.



6 comments:

  1. Gloria Grahame has been on some fantastic films, and It's Wonderful Life...
    I'm glad you were able to source something, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time you criticse It's A Wonderful Life, George, an angel loses its wings...

      Delete
  2. Enjoying this series too as I remember all these old Hollywood stars so well, yet they will soon be erased from memory. Did you ever see the 2017 Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool with Jamie Bell? All about Gloria's life at the end.

    Well done on finding a Gloria Grahame song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen that, but it's gone on the list.

      Delete
    2. Great post in a really enjoyable series, Rol.

      Coincidentally, I saw Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool for the first time on TV a couple of weeks ago. It's a great film and Annette Bening is compelling as Gloria Grahame.

      Whilst it doesn't name check her, Elvis Costello wrote a song for the film about Grahame's relationship with Peter Turner (played by Jamie Bell). It's called You Shouldn't Look At Me That Way - here's a YT link https://youtu.be/eVMPdFz43b0

      Delete
    3. I've got that tune on the Look Now album, Khayem, but I didn't know it came from that movie. I must track the film down.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...