Monday 11 July 2022

Celebrity Jukebox #8: Joan Crawford


We're back with another one of George's suggestions, but I knew I'd have little problem coming up with songs about Lucille Fay LeSueur. Four years ago (can it really be that long?), way before the Celebrity Jukebox was even built, I composed a Top Ten Bette Davis Songs. At the time, George asked me to follow with a Top Ten Joan Crawford Songs and I even started compiling a list... then life got in the way. Anyway, better late than never.

We have to start with this one, because I know it's on of George's personal favourites...

I should stop there, because clearly we're not going to beat a song with the chorus

Joan Crawford has rise from the grave!

But just in case there's anyone out there who doesn't share George's deep devotion to the Cult of the Blue Oyster... try these instead:


Being Joan Crawford at 21
Was easy
Living in new haven in 1925
Was simple and kind

Like you and me at the start
It's right and bright at the top
But the rook's not to blame
For those who didn't have an endgame


You're not giving an inch
You're strung like wire
Your open arms they flinch
Joan Crawford style
Treated like a towel
Inside you howl

How bad would it really be to be treated like a towel though? Better a towel than a toilet brush, surely? 


She was the secret daughter of Marilyn Monroe
You couldn't guess the father if you don't know
Joan Crawford adopted, called her baby Jane
We all knew her by a different name

Barbie, the untold story
Just remember, you heard it first from me
Barbie, the untold story
I'll tell you the truth for a phenomenal fee

Somehow I doubt that one will be featured in the soundtrack of the upcoming Barbie movie. 


There's a Crawford, Davis and a tacky Cary Grant
And some Homeboys lookin' for trouble down here from the Bronx

Arguably the best Lou Reed album features quite a few celebrity guests. I'm sure we'll hear from that record again soon. 

How about something a bit more recent? How about a band who describe themselves as "Angry and miserable post-punk music from Italy"? Surely you want some of that?


Vous avez dit l'amour? Vous avez dit l'amour?
Am I Bette Davis? Are you Joan Crawford?
There's a difference between 
The butcher and the lover 

Next up we have a current favourite around these parts, with a CD I have on memory stick rotation in the car at the moment...


Yes, a woman's voice can drug you
So spend it while you can
Yeah, you may not believe me
But she used to call me 'Senator'...

Just like Joan Crawford
She let me know who was The Man

But as we're clearly never going to find a song that beats George's favourites, maybe the best we can do to close this post is choose a song about one of Joan's most famous roles?


Your suggestions welcome. Otherwise I'll just keep going through George's list...

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with John Vanderslice (and what a great surname) I am going to bandcamp in the hope of finding some of his music there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can't listen to the Blue Oyster Cult all the time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...