Sunday 20 October 2024

Snapshots #366: A Top Ten Songs About The Working Week




It can be hard, getting through the working week.

Here are ten songs to ease the pain...


10. Not the home of dance culture since 1991.

Before the Ministry of Sound started laying down banging club anfems, these guys made a preferable noise (to my aging ears, anyway)...

Ministry Of Sound - White Collar Worker

He's got such a lot to do
But it's such a bore

9. A net for catching sleepy letters.

Fischer Z - The Worker

Always kiss the wife goodbye
Often wonder why
At seven in the morning?
Think it's time for a change
Wouldn't that be strange
What a waste of time

8. 6 o'clock, 9 o'clock, 10 o'clock... they can choose when they go on. 

6 o'clock News, 9 o'clock News, 10 o'clock News... with Huey as the headline.

Huey Lewis & The News - Workin' For A Living

Somedays won't end ever
And somedays pass on be I'll be working here forever,
At least until I die, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't
I'm supposed to get a raise week, you know damn well I won't.

7. Artists ride free around here.

"Artists ride" was an anagram...

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing

We got to install microwave ovens, custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators, we got to move these color TVs

6. Strike a pose...


Up every morning just to keep a job 
I gotta fight my way through the hustling mob 
Sounds of the city pounding in my brain 
While another day goes down the drain

Of course, the Julian Cope version is better, but that's not their fault. 

5. Did you hear a loud bang!? Leslie Nielsen must be shooting his Naked Gun inside. 

Bang Leslie... 

The Bangles - Manic Monday

Have to catch an early train, got to be to work by nine
And if I had an aeroplane, I still couldn't make it on time
'Cause it takes me so long just to figure out what I'm gonna wear
Blame it on the train, but the boss is already there

4. A slippery line of seats.

Skid Row - Slave To The Grind

You got me forced to crack my lids in two
I'm still stuck inside this rubber room
I gotta punch the clock that leads the blind
I'm just another gear in the assembly line

3. A beautiful French hive.

In French, their name means beautiful hive. (According to Google Translate, anyway. Ernie may tell us different.)

Belleruche - Clockwatching

Your dues have long been paid
Too many times, too many times, too many times

2. A keen shilling.

Bob's eager!

Bob Seger - Feel Like A Number

I work my back till it's racked with pain
The boss can't even recall my name
I show up late and I'm docked
It never fails

1. This lady never seems to last as long as she used to. 


Summer's over far too soon these days.

Donna Summer - She Works Hard For The Money


And in case you were thinking, "Why didn't he include...?", I'll have a few more of these for you tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Snapshots will be back next Saturday.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...