Thursday 16 February 2023

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #90: Too Old To Rock n Roll?


Last Friday night. I went to my first gig in over 4 years. Covid finished off my musical social life, and I'd pretty much resigned myself that gigging was a thing of the past, a younger man's game, many fond memories but not for me anymore.

Then late last year, I took a punt on a couple of tickets for one of my favourite bands of the moment, American Aquarium. The price of tickets puts me off these days too, but these were just over £15 each - excellent value for a 6 piece band coming all the way from North Carolina to play one of the smallest venues in Manchester.  

As is often the case, the night of the gig rolled round and I wasn't sure I had it in me. It had been a tough week at work, largely due to the extended commute, and I was knackered. Too old to rock n roll? The only reason I forced myself to go was that I'd arranged to meet my old gig-buddy, Dave, and I hadn't seen him since pre-Covid either. Dave used to be a dead ringer for David Gedge... nowadays he looks a little more like E from Eels. It works for him. 

How was the show? Well, let's just say I've had my faith in the power of live music well and truly restored. American Aquarium are a great band on record, but live... lead singer BJ Barham has the live presence of Joe Strummer and the lyrical intensity of Bruce. The rest of the band play like they've relocated E Street to the south and thrown in a pedal steel guitar. I came straight home and ordered their entire back catalogue (minus the ones I already owned) from their website. (It helped that they had a CD sale on, balancing out the price of shipping from the States.) Yes, it was the kind of a gig.

Here's one of the old songs I hadn't heard before which was a highlight of the setlist...
   

I've not mentioned the support, because he deserves a post of his own. Next week. 

Truly, I have been reborn! Two more gigs lined up for later in the year...

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back in the saddle.
    Anything I've heard from them I've liked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess that I'd never heard of American Aquarium before reading your post, Rol, but listening to the song selection I could immediately see/hear why they would have provided you with a rousing night out. What a way to return to gig going!

    It's been small steps for me, a modest number of gigs in 2022 and my first of 2023 hopefully coming up next Friday, with tickets for a few gigs through the year already in the bag.

    Very happy to read that you're back out there. Never mind the quantity, if every gig is as rewarding as this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...