Monday 13 February 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #69: Veronica Lake


People are dying faster than I can keep up, so if you were expecting a Burt Bacharach jukebox... I'm afraid you'll have to wait till after half term. In the meantime...

When Veronica Lake's name came up in a clue for last week's Snapshots, Alyson commented "Who under the age of 50 nowadays would remember the gorgeous Veronica Lake?" Looking back through her filmography, the only one that's immediately familiar to me is The Blue Dahlia. But the jukebox has a better memory than I do... and so do the Coconuts.

Don't lay there in the dark without Veronica Lake
You should have left the wig at home


I think it's fair to say that August Darnell is on the losing side of 50 these days, but here's a young man who isn't. He only graduated in 2013!

Always a battle dear, always mistakes
Violet lover - Veronica Lake
Take me in your arms, darling
I have been told I'm of marrying age


And I can't work out how old Stephen Coates from The Real Tuesday Weld is, but let's given him the benefit of the doubt...

Like Veronica Lake in a New York diner
It may have been the sound of a stranger saying your name


Steve Wynn though, he's well past it. (How about I stop obsessing over everyone's age now? That's not what this feature is supposed to be about.)

A dead ringer for Veronica Lake
Jumped right out of my birthday cake
It's not like she was on the make


Here's a few titular mentions from the darkest recesses of the jukebox...






But it's Peter Hammill of the legendary Van der Graaf Generator who closes proceedings for us today, if only because VDGG have never featured here before, in almost 11 years of me writing this blog. Pretty sure they never appeared on the old blog either. First time for everything...

Wear your hair like Veronica Lake
And he says you look ever so pretty
As he brushes the tear from your cheek almost tenderly...
Soon he'll be home



2 comments:

  1. Splendid choice, Rol, of famous person (with a rather tragic story) and for putting up a Peter Hammill track. More of this please

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected - SOME people under 50 have heard of Veronica Lake. To be honest until I checked out her films I wouldn't have remembered what they were - it was all about the hair with her (as these songs suggest) yet by modern day standards it's not that remarkable. Different times, and hair products it seems. She was partly the inspiration for the character Jessica Rabbit, what with the peek-a-boo hairstyle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...