Wednesday 22 February 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #72: Dickie Davies


It's common knowledge that I'm not a football fan, so you might imagine I wouldn't have much to say about the passing of Dickie Davies... however, I did watch World of Sport almost every Saturday afternoon when I was a kid. Not for the football... for the wrestling! Giant Haystacks, Mick MacManus, Kendo Nagasaki, Mark “Rollerball” Rocco... and, of course, Big Daddy! Easy! Easy! Easy!

I was therefore very familiar with the genial moustache of Dickie Davies, who introduced the wrestling... and all the other sports we were allowed to watch on Saturday TV before Premier League football was even invented. 

There's an obvious winner on the jukebox today, but before we get to that, here's those dashing charmers, The Sleaford Mods...

Ya can earn seventy quid on a Monday night
Sliding round a pole
In front of four or five rotting bits of bacon
Blokes that look like Dickie Davies
Smoking fags like it's the Seventies


Next up, a solo offering from the current lead singer of Thin Lizzy, Black Star Riders and The Almighty. Busy bloke.

Red hands as big as Ulster
Stubble on his chin
We wrestle on the front room floor
And his beard would burn my skin
When Dickie Davies told us
That Lester's horse had won
I'd run along behind him
And he 'd shield me from the sun


Finally, a tribute to the glory days of wrestling...

I read in the obituaries that Giant Haystacks died
He's gone to fight Big Daddy in that big ring in the sky
Where every day is Saturday, and Dickie Davis smiles
And the Saturday Lunchtime Wrestlers never died


Today's obvious winner is so well-associated with Dickie that it even merits a mention on his iffypedia page. Not only that, but it'll claim another victory if ever I get around to Cadbury's Flake on Product Placement Friday. Kim Carnes had Bette Davis, but Nigel Blackwell always preferred Dickie...

God I could murder a Cadbury’s Flake
But then I guess you wouldn’t let me into heaven
Or maybe you would
‘Cos their adverts promote oral sex

A Romany bint in a field with her paints
Suggesting we faint at her beauty
But she’s got Dickie Davies eyes



8 comments:

  1. The first think I texted my pals on his passing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moment Eric Morecombe turned up on World Of Sport - Dickie cannot keep a straight face
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEVMczQRtc0&ab_channel=TVTimeMachine

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now John Motson - I challenge you to do a Celebrity Jukebox for him as I feel sure there will be many songs referencing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't heard of him (which in your case is quite likely), he was THE voice of football for decades.

      Delete
    2. I did check, and came up with surprisingly few. There's a Mitch Benn song about the BBC that mentions him along with a lot of other people, and there's a punk song by The Abs called The Gospel According To John Motson... but I can't find it anywhere online. Beyond that, he appears briefly in the 2010 version of Three Lions. Sadly not enough to make a decent post out of.

      Delete
  5. I'm surprised considering how many there were about Dickie Davies. You've been given a reprieve.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...