Friday 24 February 2023

Product Placement Friday #3: Heinz Baked Beans

A million housewives every day
Pick up a can of beans and say:
“What an amazing example of synchronisation”

Only three weeks into this feature, and I'm still surprised that's the first time Nigel Blackwell has put in an appearance...


I do like a nice tin of beans, but they give me terrible heartburn (not to mention the other). But I do wonder why the other baked bean companies are still bothering. I mean, Pete & Roger settled their superiority over 50 years ago...


Sell-outs! And here's a modern day version of the same trick...


You wouldn't expect that kind of thing from Paul Weller...

Love me, love my jeans
I must buy shares in Heinz baked beans
Too busy buying up, selling out, selling off.


Less a fan was singer Heinz Burt (real name), originally a member of The Telstars, who once went on tour with Gene Vincent and Jerry Lee Lewis. Old school rock n roll fans didn't take to this young pretender though, and ended up chucking beans all over him while he sang his biggest hit...


Of a slightly more contemporary vintage, here's the wonderfully named Anorak Patch...

I’m always seeing adverts
Where boys just talk in lines
And sayin’ how much they like Heinz beans
And eat them all the time

Well, that’s not very clever
I’m not all that impressed
Cos’ everybody likes Heinz beans
Cos’ Heinz beans are the best


Rappers like Heinz beans too! Here's your proof..


My favourite discovery this week comes from Aussie rock band The Drones. Let's just say that I like the cut of their gib.

People are a waste of food
Don't bother learning Chinese
Thou shalt find oneself perturbed
By less verbose calamities
Just get some Heinz baked beans
A 12 gauge, bandolier and tinned dog food
We'll eat your dog, bury our dead
Or eat them instead
That's entirely up to you



3 comments:

  1. If this series includes the Curly-Wurly you will definite join the ranks of my Top Ten favourite music blogs by middle-aged (and older) men

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. I'm sure next week's will be right up your street though...

      Delete
  2. Paul Weller has bean history, although not specifically Heinz.
    From The Jam’s In The Crowd:
    I fall into a trance, at the supermarket
    The noise flows me along, as I catch falling cans
    Of baked beans on toast, technology is the most

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...