Monday 13 March 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #77: Gary Lineker


Sam turned on Match of the Day yesterday morning and we watched 20 minutes of commentary-free highlights that even he found boring. Everyone on the show has come out in support of Gary, and good on 'em. And good on Gary for speaking his mind on the fascist rhetoric of this callous, out-of-touch, out-of-control Tory government.

I said I wasn't going to do any more celebrity jukeboxes about people who were still alive, but I reckon Gary's got a good few decades left in him (he may well outlive me) even if he has to survive without his BBC salary. So in his honour... here's Goldie Lookin' Chain.

I want to be like Gary Lineker, that would be sweet
Be on Match Of The Day with all the crisps I can eat


And what does Weller have to say? Erm, Martin Weller, that is...

Power of the Kings
The Fossils, the Filberts
Led by the Tinkerman
Lineker can't disguise his joy


(I don't really understand that one, being that I know very little about the foot-ball.)

Of course, the obvious Lineker reference comes in this...

But I still see that tackle by Moore 
And when Lineker scored
Bobby belting the ball, and Nobby dancing


However, today's winner comes from this bunch, an Americana band from Minneapolis, probably the last people you'd expect to be singing the praises of Gary... well, apart me, that is.

I have a brother like Gary Lineker
Put it past you like salt on vinegar all the time
He'd do it all the time


Go, Gary, Go! Don't you back down, boy.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you’re coming round to thinking that football types are not all so bad. A

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...