Friday 10 March 2023

Product Placement Friday #5: Curly Wurly

As has previously been discussed in my Mars Bar post, I no longer have any time for confectionery that sticks to my teeth. Hence, Curly Wurlys (as appears to be the preferred plural) were pretty far down my list of priorities for this series. However, George demanded them, with the promise that, "If this series includes the Curly-Wurly you will definite join the ranks of my Top Ten favourite music blogs by middle-aged (and older) men." How could I resist an offer like that? Especially when it gives me the chance to open with The Boss!? I'm sure George will approve...


And Go-Cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride

Two points of order, I suppose.

1. Yes, that was also recorded (and made into a hit) by Manfred Mann's Earth Band, but really, who wants to hear their version when you can have the original? Certainly not George.

2. I don't actually think that Bruce (or Chris Thompson, who sang vocals of MM'sEB US #1) is referring to a chocolate bar in the lyrics above. However, the internet isn't really clear on what they are referring to. The best it can offer is "a helicopter", which I've never heard anyone else refer to as a curly wurly, so until I know better...

As you'd expect, lots of rappers are also partial to an odd Curly Wurly. Here's an Example...

I know that in that bag there's ginger beer and Curly Wurlys
It's kinda hurly burly but you must believe my story


Meanwhile, here are some Housey Doingz from 1996...


Quite a few dance producers seem to be chomping Curly Wurlys in the studio, given the number of times "Curly Wurly mix" cropped up in my search. Here's the best of the bunch...


If dance music isn't your thing, perhaps you'd prefer a little jazz?


Nice.

Or how about some roots reggae?


I'm not convinced all those songs are about the chocolate-coated treat whose "shape resembles three flattened, intertwined serpentine strings" either. But this one definitely is...


Then, of course, we have Mark E. Smith, a big fan of the Curly Wurly... though he does object to how much they cost these days.

At a British shop
Take it down easy
During a lull in his attack
3 little girls with only 50 pence
Had to take, had to put
The Curly Wurly back


But it's another Mark E. who closes our tribute to the curliest and wurliest of snacks... Mark E. Nevin, formerly of Fairground Attraction (he wrote their big Number One, Perfect). 


Suggestions for products to appear in this series are always welcome, but I can't guarantee you'll like any of the songs...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching the heady heights of My Favourite Top Ten middle-aged etc blogs! I had completely forgotten that the mighty Fall referenced the Curly Wurly. I am so pleased to see this article I am even going to listen to that first track you posted all the way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This could be your Road to Damascus moment, George...

      Delete
  2. In my haste, I was about to ask "and what about Mark Nevin?", but I don't need to now.
    And this is just my unfashionable opinion (did you see what I did there?), I quite like Manfred Mann's Earth Band - I think it's a score draw all the way (and then The Boss just pulls out a late injury time winner)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...