Tuesday 21 March 2023

Namesakes #26: Kaleidoscope


This week's band name is inspired by Ernie, who was mourning the passing of one sapecific Kaleidoscope member just last week. Suffice it to say that there's a veritable kaleidoscope of bands who have chosen to use this name. Here's a selection...


KALEIDOSCOPE #1

This English psych-folk-prog Kaleidoscope began life in 1964 as The Sidekicks. They also went under the names The Key, Fairfield Parlour and I Luv Wight (see what they did there?). Their critically acclaimed 1967 debut album was called Tangerine Dream... I'm not sure if this influenced the German band of the same name who also formed in 1967. 

They reformed in 2013 and are still kicking around today. 


KALEIDOSCOPE #2

Our next Kaleidoscope also ploughed the furrows of psychedelia, but over on the other side of the pond. They released four albums in the late 60s and later reformed in 1976 and 1991 to release new material. Lead singer David Lindley, who died earlier this month, went on to enjoy a prolific solo career, while multi-instrumentalist Solomon Feldthouse was the father of actress Fairuza Balk. 


KALEIDOSCOPE #3

More psychedelia, this time from late 60s Mexico... although most of the individual members were Puerto Rican... and proper trippy it is too.


KALEIDOSCOPE #4

From New Jersey via Philadelphia, this soulful Kaleidoscope came together in 1975 and appear to still be going. I dig this song title...


KALEIDOSCOPE #5

They're from Switzlerland in the 70s, and that's all I know...


KALEIDOSCOPE #6

Heavy rock, Thailand style, from the late 70s through the 90s...


KALEIDOSCOPE #7

An Australian indie Kaleidoscope from the early 00s with a lead singer called Kylie... but not that one.


KALEIDOSCOPE #8

More Aussie rockers, from the delightfully named Wollongong, this time of the grungier persuasion, in 2014...


KALEIDOSCOPE #9

Finally, some hardcore punk from Noo Yoik City, circa 2017...


That was the pick of the bunch... but which one sets your mind a-spinning?



6 comments:

  1. An eclectic mixed bag there Rol
    It's #4 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 for me, I've been a fan for many years. I saw Peter Daltrey, their main man, live ten years ago performing their old material backed by Trembling Bells. A couple of the other original members staggered on for the encores. It was a fantastic gig.

    So I'm biased. But if you take 1 out then 2, 3 and 4 are all pretty good as well. I will definitely investigate 3 durther.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was steeply downhill after #3, and that includes Thailand's answer to Iron Maiden. #1 for me, enjoyable psychedelic nonsense, #3 not far behind

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm already a fan of the English Kaleidoscope #1 so may be a little biased, but my choice is now challenged by the glorious psych madness of #3 - a complete revelation so thank you for the introduction. They sound a bit like the Electric Prunes so right up my alley (and what's going on with that hooter thing around the 1 and 2 minute mark?!)
    Therefore, if you'll allow it, I'd like to split my vote between #1 and #3...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah number 1 for me. I have a few of there songs scattered around some compilations but i don't know this one, i like it though. I also quite liked the Mexicans at number 3

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many Kaleidoscopes - who knew (not me anyway).

    It's #4 for me followed by #3 and #7 in second place.

    As an aside, one of my schoolfriends married an Australian and has lived in Wollongong ever since - just south of Sydney.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...