Tuesday 25 April 2023

Namesakes #31: The Saints


Who's your favourite Saint? George Sanders, Roger Moore, Ian Ogilvy or Val Kilmer?

Or... maybe it's one of this bunch. There's certainly plenty of Saints to choose from. Be warned though... there are so many, you'll need the patience of a saint to listen to them all!


THE SAINTS #1

Our first Saints came marching into Chicago in 1957 with the story of a young lass who had no idea that at some point in her future she'd find it hard to love a man whose legs are bent and paralyzed.

Special mention to the b-side, Sun Tan Legs... they don't write 'em like that anymore.


THE SAINTS #2

More rock n roll from 1957, written by Jimmy Duncan who also penned hits for Bobby Helms, Ricky Nelson and Fabian.


THE SAINTS #3

Doo wop from the late 50s. That's all I know. Doo wop's always worth a listen though.


THE SAINTS #4

Next we go to Denver, Colorado in the very early 60s for some saxy rock n roll...


THE SAINTS #5

In 1961, a gentleman called Ken Howell also put together a group of Saints on a record label called America's Best Sellers... not quite sure they lived up to the name.


THE SAINTS #6

Meanwhile in New Zealand, 1962 brought us this, presumably influenced by the Hitchcock movie from a couple of years earlier. The b-side was called Scotland Yard, but sadly I can't find that.


THE SAINTS #7

A Joe Meek house band featuring the former bassist from The Tornados. They would go on to become the backing band for Heinz... but here they are on their own in 1963.


THE SAINTS #8

Aussie surf rockers from 1964 who were also quite into skiing. They released a whole LP of surf/ski rock tunes, but this is about the only tune I can find from them...


THE SAINTS #9

From 1966, on the Gay Feet record label, some laid back reggae (sounds more like doo wop to me) from a band that may or may not have been led by one Leroy Cuthbert. Research only goes so far on this blog.


THE SAINTS #10

Also in 1966, some Saints arrived from Athens. Not the one in Georgia. The band included Γιάννης Γαρδέλης on vocals, Γιάννης Αγαπητός on bass, Γιώργος Χατζηδάκης on drums, and two guitar players, Δημήτρης Παπαδόπουλος and  Θανάσης Βαγενάς. This was their only release.

  
THE SAINTS #11

Then in 1967, these guys arrived from the Bronx. They released one record of glorious garage-psych, then presumably went back to their day jobs...


THE SAINTS #12

Also in 1967, and coming to you live from their garage in Chicago... though a bit quieter than most garage bands of the time. I think their mum was asleep upstairs.


THE SAINTS #13

Classy LA soul from 1968...


THE SAINTS #14

1969. Saints from Singapore...


THE SAINTS #15

Aussie rockers who formed in 1973 and were considered one of the first punk bands outside the US and the UK. Their debut single was released in '76, ahead of the bigger names that would soon follow. Still in the go as recently as last year.
   

THE SAINTS #16

Think Christian rock is bad? Imagine Christian hip hop! This is what it sounded like in 1997...


I'm going to stop there as I doubt you made it past the first three. There were loads more listed on discogs though... made me wonder if this is the most popular band name ever used. It probably helps that none of them made it particularly big. 

I promise there will be less choices next week...


12 comments:

  1. #13 for me, although #3 came close (mostly because it sounds like it should be played at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance).

    (Got the same embed for #4 and #5)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin. I've updated the link.

      I can't believe any of you actually want to listen to 16 of these things!

      Delete
    2. Not only am I listening to them all but I am making a compilation cd of most of the tracks. #16 is excluded because it's absolute bobbins

      Delete
    3. Above and beyond, George. Above and beyond.

      Delete
  2. Christian hop-hop. I'm really looking forward to playing that one

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the moment my choices are #13, #12, #14,#7, #2, #10 and #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3, #7 & #13 - I seem to go for genres in this feature and if there is doo wop and LA soul in the mix they'll do for me. Equally as enjoyable was the Joe Meek band house band. Can just picture them doing a bit of fancy footwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An impressive piece of work Rol.Not sure I have the energy to listen to them all. I'll go for #15 given that I have (I'm Stranded)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popular name, and I tip my hat to your research and selections.
    Number 15 takes it for me.
    Nearly, but not quite:
    Number 4 sounds like it could be in a Tarrantino movie
    Number 11 sounds like it could've been in contention for The Nuggets compilation

    ReplyDelete
  7. No. 15! The only one here that I have something from in the collection. - Brian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...