Wednesday 5 April 2023

TV On The Radio #3: The X-Files

When The X-Files landed on TV in 1993, it was like they'd made a show just for me. Monsters, UFOs, conspiracy theories... and two leads with undeniable chemistry and a repressed "Will they / Won't they?" relationship. Yes, the show made a few mis-steps along the way, the big story arcs became more important than the (more entertaining) monster-of-the-week episodes, and the Noughties revival was a damp squib... but Mulder & Scully remain two of my favourite TV characters and I still own all the DVD boxsets even though I can watch it any time I want on Disney+.

The X-Files made a huge impact on popular culture, most memorably with The Barenaked Ladies...

Watching X-Files with no lights on
We're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one


...and not forgetting these reprobates...

Please turn me on, I'm Mr. Coffee with an automatic drip
So show me yours, I'll show you mine, "Tool Time"
You'll Lovett just like Lyle
And then we'll do it doggy style
So we can both watch X-Files


This blog's been going 11 years now and I've yet to feature anything by The Insane Clown Posse. Time to remedy that...

My tongue's a little long, I choke people with it
Looks kinda nasty, but chicks dig it
And I told ya my neck can stretch for miles
I look like something from The X-Files


Now let's pretend I'm down with da kidz for a second...


Mark Snow's theme from The X-Files was a hit record in 1996, reaching #2 in the charts. 


The less said about the dance remix though, the better. Sadly, it also made the Top Ten a few weeks later...


Once you start searching for lyrical references to The X-Files, no one will ever find you again. So I gave up and started looking for Mulder and Scully... but even that proved an impossible task. Sifting through the hundreds of references in the hope of finding gold, I did discover that Golden Earring were still in the go in the 21st Century... which is as unbelievable as anything I ever saw in The X-Files.

You know the first time I saw the X-Files
I was stoned as usual
Here comes Scully walking in
Zappin' through the Cartwrights
Fox Mulder went and lost his gun
He keeps holding on to the flashlight
Shining bright on lost memories
Scully, I can't forget your sweet sixteen
I'm not an alien
I fear it's not a dream
I wish you'd recognize the voice
That sang your favourite song
At Kansas City Airport


When it came to picking today's winner, The Truth was definitely Out There. Of all the many, many songs that mention The X-Files, Cerys is definitely a case for Mulder and Scully (and I do love the way she sings "Scully").


Finally, stepping on the toes of Celebrity Jukebox ever so slightly, I couldn't leave today without mentioning this glorious tribute to X-Files star David Duchovny. As yet, nobody's written an equivalent song about Gillian Anderson... except in my head.



3 comments:

  1. Coincidentally, I have just started rewatching The X Files on Disney+, my excuse being that I'm introducing Amusements Minor to it. He seems to like it, although having entered teenage years won't actually admit to it. Anyway. We recently watched Series 1 Episode 3, "Squeeze", about a shape-shifting creature that comes out of hibernation every thirty years. At one point, one of the principals said that if they didn't catch it this time they'd have to wait until 2023 to see it again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost named Squeeze as one of my favourite episodes. Although Tooms does return a lot sooner than 2023, towards the end of Season 1. The actor who plays him also crops up in The Green Mile. My brain contains too much pointless trivia.

      I'm looking forward to introducing Sam to The X-Files when he's a little older.

      Delete
    2. Good Green Mile spot there.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...