Wednesday 18 August 2021

Cnut Songs #5: Parking Lot Blues


This is my last week off with Sam (after a few days back in purgatory last week) before the hard slog through till November (when I finally start my new job). So a few more days out have been planned... and a few more middle-aged King Cnut mumbles have been expressed.

Last week I spoke (at length) about how They are slowly trying to phase out real money in favour of digital / card spending, something that C agreed with greatly (pointing us all towards this article which shows that it isn't just middle-aged Cnuts fearing the end of money). Well, here's the latest chapter in that tale of woe... car parks.

A number of city centre car parks I've encnutered over the past few weeks have refused to let me pay for my parking with coins. The machines are taped up with bin bags, forcing us instead to use their parking apps. Occasional signs describe this as a covid measure, while others say nothing, which implies this is the future. 

Like a true King Cnut, I refuse to use parking apps. I've tried and the hoops to jump through are just too many. I want to put a few coins in a slot, grab my ticket for the dashboard, and go. If I have to put my registration number into the machine (to stop me sharing a ticket with another driver... remember how nice it was in the good old days when someone offered you their unused parking ticket?), that's about as far as I'll go. But I'm not logging into one of the three dozen possible parking apps and giving them my life story (not to mention bank details) just to leave my car for a couple of hours on a piece of scraggy wasteland. I'll drive on and find another car park, thanks.   

But I know my days of doing that are numbered. The faceless oligarchs who own our car parks don't want to pay attendants any more, and they certainly don't want the hassle of sending someone round to empty the ticket machine, count up all the coins, and take them to the bank... not when they can get us to shoot our digital cash straight into their veins. And I'll tell you who I feel sorry for the most. This guy...


Here's ten songs about parking and parking lots. Because song writers prefer to use the Americanism (I couldn't find any car park songs)... probably because most of these guys are Americans (apart from the ones who sing about valet parking - Brits with too much money, obviously!).


And in the middle of the night
I didn't care if it was right
I was sitting in the parking lot with you


Park that car
Drop that phone...


Breathing in the fumes from so many idling cars
Right beneath the sign with the dusty yellow stars
Watching the sun go down


Hiding in a parking lot and
Watching all the people fall to pieces


They cut you open to get at your heart
Sounds like a metaphor for something but it's not
Like a bad memory lodged in your mind
With your eyes taped shut
A metaphor for blind...

Don't break down 'til you get to the parking lot
Keep it together until you're in your car


I'm sick of parking cars...


Soon the chain reaction started in the parking lot
Waiting to bleed onto the big streets
That bleed out onto the highways

Convenient parking is way back, way back


I just jump in my car and go
For how long? I do not know


You can hear the band a playin' right through the wall
Ain't no cover charge, there ain't no last call
Out in the parking lot

1. Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot
With no human beings or coin machines, just a stupid parking app
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot



6 comments:

  1. I see what you did there with Joni's "Big Yellow Taxi" and I'm sure she'd approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - I had to do a double take. Yes, she's definitely approve.

      Delete
  2. What do you do if you don't have a smart phone and you're in one of those garages?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unsurprisingly I'm in total agreement with you Rol. Even for those who happily depend on their smartphone apps to run their entire lives, what happens if there's a system glitch or your phone gets lost/stolen while you're out or there's no signal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart sinks when I find myself in one of those car parks and as Mr WIAA had resisted having a smart phone for a long time, it was down to me. There was always a hiccup that meant we couldn't park. Our local theatre (when I was still able to go) changed to such a system and I've seen us having to park in town and run to the theatre almost missing the start of a performance.

    Yes fully with you on this particular Cnut and the tide sadly won't turn back now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...